Monday, April 18, 2011

Architecture

They just don't build 'em like they used to.  Well, I guess they do, but it's crazy expensive to do and most firms aren't interested in this type of detail work.

While I was sitting in traffic on my way to a job in DC last week I managed to snag a few photos of some buildings I thought were worth showing off (taken from the sunroof or windows of my car-super safe I know).
Here's a full shot of the building
Closeup of the front door and gorgeous bump out. LOVE that copper patina!! Even the brick detail above the windows is beautiful, and the copper gutters, mmmmm
The wavy roofline-SO beautiful! That little window peeking out of the roof is just the right touch, I imagine it to be a cool space inside as well.
I love the limestone and copper trim that has aged, and those urns, ughh, so beautiful! Even the overhang details were well thought out.
I love the three types of windows, columns and balustrades on this traditional brick building.
These next two reminded me of a Dovecote or Pigeonnier (the last photo has been turned into a house-SO awesome, I'd love to have this as my weekend getaway.)
Are there any buildings in your town that inspire you?  Are you drawn to great architecture?
Happy Monday!  I'll be updating you guys this week with a fun weekend DIY project, so come on back!

*Amy

1 comment:

  1. Love! The second to last house is Heurich House, which is the best preserved Victorian interior in the US. You can go for tours inside, it is well worthwhile! They are slowly doing a lot of restoration. http://www.brewmasterscastle.com/

    ReplyDelete