Thursday, March 24, 2011

Plant of the Week

The plant I'm showcasing this week is the Helleborus, also called Lenten Rose.  I thought it was appropriate as we are in the season of Lent (for those who celebrate), and for those who don't, this is still a plant not to miss adding to your garden!!  Helleborus, also called Hellebore is an evergreen perennial which is yes, unusual, as most perennials die back to the ground in winter and don't emerge until late spring (usually late March- early April).  This beauty BLOOMS in winter!  It keeps its foliage throughout the year and blooms starting in early late February or March depending on weather and will last at least 6 weeks.  Helleborus x hybridus was named the 2005 'Perennial Plant of the Year' by the Perennial Plant Association.
 
Here are a few I photographed at work, but there are TONS more, I will put some links to other photos below mine of some of my faves (and there are a LOT!)
Helleborus 'Winter Sunshine'
Height: 12"
Width: 18-24"
Helleborus 'Winter Song"
Height: 15-18"
Width: 24"
Helleborus 'Pink Lady'
Height: 18-20"
Width: 18-24"
Helleborus 'Green Corsican'
Height: 10"
Width: 24"

These beauties can tolerate deep shade but also appreciate some sun, they like well-drained soil (if you amend with organic matter or compost even better) and they are deer tolerant!  Their leaves (when cut or bruised) emit a toxic sap that can irritate skin so wash well after pruning off any dead foliage in late winter when these gorgeous flowers begin opening their eyes to the chilly spring sky, it'll showcase the blooms that much more and make you happy you added them to your garden!


Both images from here

Would this be something you'd add to your garden?  I know I'm always happy to see them blooming away when it's still chilly out!

Happy Gardening!
*Amy

3 comments:

  1. Love the subtle colors of the 'Winter Sunshine' and the speckles on the 'Pink Lady'! Would definitely plant these in my garden...if I didn't live in Texas. So jealous...

    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment today! I'll be back to check out L&L. -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's absolutely stunning! Gosh, I just love flowers so much! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy, Thanks for visiting my blog this week. I also dabble in Landscape Design. I'm not professionally trained like you, but it just evolved from my love of gardening and people asking me to design their yard for them. I love your plant of the week blog!

    ReplyDelete