Monday, March 21, 2011

DIY - Spring Wreath

Happy Monday bloggers!!  I was inspired by the profusion of color at work while pulling plants last week, so I thought I'd whip up something springy for our front door.

I made a quick stop at Michael's on the way home to pick up a grapevine wreath, some artificial forsythia and viburnum, then home to craft I went!
Here's the grapevine wreath on our kitchen counter before I got started.
My trusty supplies, world's smallest gluegun-perfect for projects like this!  Extra glue sticks, nothing worse than running out mid-way through a project, and my wire cutters to snip the branches into manageable sections. 
The artificial flowers and wreath on my counter, notice my "helper" there on the floor, our little girl Pips likes to supervise my projects.  It's probably a good thing, that hot glue gets HOT!! 
I cut all my branches into smaller sections and laid them out on the counter first.  Then I worked them in sections into the wreath, I started with the Forsythia as it's the smaller flower and used that as my "base."  Once that was evenly placed throughout my wreath I added in the Viburnum.
Next, I added the rest of the Viburnum clusters and some extra leaves for a little added greenery around the edges, although it's artificial, I like the wreath to look a little wild and natural.  I'm not usually a big artificial flower person, BUT the wreath is really mostly seen from the street, we rarely use our front door, so it's nice to see a burst of color when we pull up.
Amd here's the finished product hung up before I left for work this morning!  Yes, I know a brown door, it was most certainly NOT our color choice.  We live in an awesome neighborhood, but our HOA has certain colors you have to paint your door.  So ours is pre-designated "Fairfax Brown", ugh.  Hey, at least we have an HOA that enforces this rule, as much as I love hot pink, I can't say I'd be thrilled if my neighbors door was painted that color...

So that's my DIY spring wreath for you guys.  Have you made something for your door?  If so please let me know, I'd love to see what you're up to!

*Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment